Saturday, February 17, 2007

11. The ship Theseus

My first reaction was 'what's with these rich people? Mad ah?'

Then I put my thinking cap on. So this ship has been rebuilt with many new parts, and all the old bits have gone into making a new ship. Since the crazy rich guy wants the ship with all the deep gory history, then our friendly neighbourhood henchman should be after the ship rebuilt with the old authentic albeit morbid bits. It's the genuine, real deal isn't it?

What's written is true. Imagine that 1979 BMW is up for sale. Sentimentalists might buy the car for the old world charm and style. At the same, some folks wouldn't give a hoot for this 'old piece of junk'. The acquirer's motivation must prevail.

So far, the context surrounds stuff, actual, physical stuff. People on the other hand are a different story. We change. It's inevitable our psyches and mindsets are altered by the way we live and grow up. Some changes are quick like hair colour, others happen over decades like a heart attack from accumulated artery deposits. This also means that the people around us, our family, friends, colleagues, sports buddies will be affected in some way or rather by these changes. But to claim that these changes make us less genuine cannot be true. I am who I am but I do different things and think differently. But it's genuinely me. People might come up and say 'You're not the same person' but yeah I ain't. But it's still me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed. You are still you.

Anonymous said...

Ive read this topic for some blogs. But I think this is more informative.